The Colonel

blasphemy: 1
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

Please note: I don't review to provide synopses, I review to share a purely visceral reaction to books and perhaps answer some of the questions I ask when I'm contemplating investing time and money into a book.

I read this in the "wrong order". I finished Firefall before I started this, so reading this wasn't as much about whetting my appetite for a new book as much filling in a couple of gaps in the epic I just finished.

Protip: The correct order to read the Firefall series is:

1. Blindsight

2. The Colonel

3. Echopraxia

You can also read The Colonel first, but it'll very slightly spoil Blindsight. Please note that Blindsight does not have a surprise ending; but reading The Colonel first may slightly change your viewpoint while you read Blindsight.

That being said, it's a nice little short. I think I would have liked it more if I'd read it before I finished the series, because there is some intense (eloquent) characterization and the post/transhuman future he details is deeply thought provoking. But I already knew the characters and had gotten my thoughts provoked by Firefall, so all this did was fill in some details about a time and place that hadn't had much attention in Firefall.

Absolutely worth more than the £0.39 I paid for it.