The Convent of the Pure

blasphemy: 0
Bechdel Test: PASS
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: PASS
Please note that I only read about 15% of this book, then skimmed quickly through another 10% before I gave up on it. So my scores only reflect the first quarter of the book.

Again, I ask myself, "Am I reading the same book everyone else who gave these great reviews read?"

Usually, when I give up on a book because it's just not my cup of tea, I don't mention it on goodreads because I don't think it's fair for someone outside the target market to skew the ratings. On the other hand, I want to jump in and save other readers like myself who may be contemplating the book but don't have all the information they'd need to make a decision. So, in a compromise, if I chose a book solely on reviews at GR and I find it wildly different than my expectations, I'll put a review up. I wish there was a way you could skip 'starring' a review and just add some comments without affecting the overall rating.

I'm just going to mention the reasons I don't believe this book is for me and try refrain from making any unnecessary judgements. To reiterate, this book is not for readers like myself but there's no reason other readers won't enjoy it.

1) This book appears to be young adult fiction, I guess it's aimed at people around 14-16 years old. It uses lots of short sentences and small words. There is no subtlety to the language or the plot devices.

2) This story has a very strong christian bias. And not in the fun to read critical way; there are no moral ambiguities. The lines are clearly drawn and you're either in god's light or you're a dirty hellspawn who deserves to die.

3) The book is not even a little bit smutty. There were plenty of opportunities for some action in the part of the book I read and they were all passed over with barely a quickened pulse. See also point #1.

Please note: I don't review to provide synopses, I review to share a purely visceral reaction to books and perhaps answer some of the questions I ask when I'm contemplating investing time and money into a book.