Thicker Than Water

blasphemy: 4
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

I liked this novella a lot. The story could have been a moderately exciting thrill ride full of carnage and lust, but by breaking up the narrative between contemporary events and the history between the three vampires going back over a hundred years, the story elevates itself a notch above a mere gorefest.

The story features vampires the way I like them: undead humans with supernatural abilities that turn them into amazing predators. Not unlike The Lost Boys, actually. These guys lack most of the weaknessses of the vampire genre, and are only held in check by the fear of an oft named but never seen arch vampire cabal that will supposedly kill anyone who violates the ages old codex governing vampire behavior. (Cue the sequel here...)

It's a very short and visceral read. This is not a complicated book; there are no metaphors to decipher nor is the author trying to Say Something About The Human Condition. The characters are all straightforward (they're named Tyr, Loki and Thor - get it?) and one dimensional. This isn't a book to make you think about things, this is a book designed soley to entertain for a few minutes. The pace is excellent, the voicing good enough and the cadence and vocabulary are as good as books that have gone through the hands of a professional publishing house. Unfortunately, there were a number of grammatical errors and typos that should have been caught before going to publication. That being said, the price is right and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

Please note: I don't review to provide synopses, I review to share a purely visceral reaction to books and perhaps answer some of the questions I ask when I'm contemplating investing time and money into a book.